[TOEC]Please read K1AR´s article in CQ Magazine May 2003, 73 de KCO

smOkco sm0kco at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 19:51:31 EDT 2003

The Problem with Packet Spots
W2VU editor CQ Magazine
June 2003
According to CQ World Wide DX Contest Director Bob Cox, K3EST, logs submitted
for last years contest included some 100.000 unique callsigns.
After running all the logs through the log-checking and comparison routines, it
was determined that those 100.000 calls actually belonged to about 23.000
stations.
The rest were errors in copying, often multiplied many times by the pasting
of(incorrect) packet spots into contest logging software.
The problem of bad calls on packet spots is something K1AR discussed last month
in his contesting column, and which is reinforced by these astounding figures.
We ran out of room last month for a table K1AR made of bad calls he observed
posted on packet from just one contest. The table appears in John´s column this
month. We encourage you to take a look at it, and think long and hard in the
next contest before blindly plugging a call from packet spot into your log.