[TOEC] Skimmer(Cluster in SAC

Mats Strandberg sm6lrr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 09:26:50 PDT 2010

Hello all!

I agree with Rolf that this topic should preferably not exist, but reality
shows that especially CW Skimmers (and Reverse Beacon Network) is becomming
widely used by many contesters. It will very soon (within months) most
likely replace DX Summit as the tool to automatically find stations - and
subesequently also with a click on the mouse insert the spot into the
contest software.

Sor Scandinavians in SAC, cluster or RBN is not all that important, BUT the
difference for Non-Scandinavians when "playing according to the rules by not
using any cluster or skimmers" and between those who abuse the rule... is
huge.

DX Cluster abuse can quite easily be analyzed and CQ WW CC has changed many
non-assisted entries into assisted entry using this technique.

However, use of RBN and skimmers will are according to my understanding much
more difficult to detect...

If a person spends 24 hours in SAC doing 95% or more Search & Pounce, and
manages to work, let us say 500 QSOs, and following the rules (no cluster),
he can easily be out-manouvered by another station using skimmer.

My somewhat provocative suggestion has the aim to describe the existing
situation - and to see if anyone on our reflector - or someone else has
experience or suggestions how we more easily can analyze if a station is
working non-assisted - or if a local skimmer or RBN is used to find
stations.

My estimation is that RBN increases the efficiency in S&P mode in SAC
CW for Non-Scandinavians with at least 25%. This gives a huge advantage...
needless to say.

73 de R3/SM6LRR, Mats