[TOEC] Fw: SAC CW SM5MX SOAB LP

Rolf Salme, SM5MX sm5mx at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 03:26:02 PDT 2011

Mats,

>>Imagine a huge one element Rhombic antenna compared to a G5RV @ 7 meters height

I'm sorry to tell you that you seem to have missed my point, to some extent.

Yes, a hefty Rhombic is made of wires, for sure - but it is "A Beam", so it
ought to compete in a category different from the G5RV's, IMHO.

My proposal was "Beam" vs. "No Beam", regardless of the beam material.
Maybe my words were somewhat fuzzy on that point.

I know that the next challenge I am about to receive regarding this is "How to define
what makes an antenna a beam. Is a dipole a beam compared to an isotropic antenna?"
et cetera, et cetera. Sorry to make you disappointed, guys, but I will refrain from
getting involved in that qualified exercise in hairsplitting for paper tigers.

Mats, the unfortunate fate of our hobby is that a 100 % level playing field is an
impossibility.

73,
Rolf
SM5MX