[TOEC] Proposal: LP Category on SOSB in SAC

Rolf Salme, SM5MX sm5mx at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 03:45:24 EDT 2012

Hi Fans,

When uploading my SAC score at the 3830 reflector, I noticed a rather
colourful remark from SF0F, who obviously wants to see an LP category
in the SOSB classes as well. So do I, hence I included a brief supportive
remark in my own entry at 3830.

Which in turn prompted Mats, RM2D, to suggest doing away with the
SOSB classes altogether, for the purpose of focusing our (i. e. SM's)
efforts at crushing the hopes of OH and hopingly steamroll the other
guys on this side of the Baltic as well.

I am probably not the only participant who does not have super
antennas for all the bands in question. Hence, in major contests
I often bet my 100 watts on one particular band into one reasonably
good antenna, my preferences being  lower bands.

Yes, Mats, it can be quite a boring story to be on a single band at times.
Still, though, judging by the final results in SAC, quite a few seem
prepared to take the risk. Needless to say, as a de facto LP station on
any SOSB, it would definitely be more fun if you could at least compete
with your equals, i e other 100-watters rather than those hefty kW's.

I think this is an appropriate moment to remind ourselves that the sole
purpose of the SAC is certainly not just "beating the Finns". On the
contrary, the primary idea was - and still is -  that the Scandinavian
Activity Contest  should offer a weekend of great contest fun for
everybody, which IMHO also includes LP operators on single bands.

How about "your own" contest, Mats, the RDXC? I am full of praise
for an extremely well-organized contest in all respects. I. e. in all but one;
there is no LP option in the SOSB categories. I wouldn't mind if you
QSPd this minor objection to the organizers - while praising them for
most of the rest!

73,
Rolf
SM5MX