[TOEC] EUHF Champ RM2D(SM6LRR) CW Only HP

Mats Strandberg sm6lrr at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 02:47:18 EDT 2016

My first more or less serious effort in EUHFC. Many stations active and
band conditions in general quite ok for European contacts. Disappointment
was 15 meters that never opened up really well into Moscow region. Maybe my
Hexbeam also performs comparatively better on 20 than on 10 and 15. Ten
meters was open more or less all time in some direction, and even after the
contest at 3 AM local time, the Hungarian skimmer should decent signals
from here.

On 40 meters I worked Low Power until the last 3 hours due to TVI here in
the neighbourhood on that band. Maybe lost some 50 contacts and some
multipliers due to that, but nothing to complain about. The good thing with
EUHFC is that LP in general works pretty well.

It is nice to see that a Small Pistol SO1R station does not come too much
behind Big Gun SO2R stations, but the reality catches up with me... If I
shall ever come in some better positions, I need to invest in a second
radio and a second Hex Beam. Without this, I will never really tease the
big guns from behind.

Anyway, great fun to stretch the limits with this relatively moderate setup.

Radio:

Rig:    TS 590S
Amp:    Expert 1.3 K-FA
Power:  Mostly 1 kW, but 3 hours on 40 with 100W

Antennas:

10,15 and 20 meters:  2 element Hexbeam at 18 meters
40 meters:            1/4-vertical (groundmounted) with 2 elevated radials
80 meters:            1/4-vertical (groundmounted) with ground radials (1.5
km)
160 meters:           "Up and down" Inverted L... Max height 15 meters

73 de Mats RM2D (SM6LRR)