TopBand: 9X4WW, ZS8IR and ARRL 160 Conditions

Robert g. Flory 104117.3104@compuserve.com
05 Dec 96 09:36:28 EST

Good conditions on Top Band last night(12/4).

Wondered what the hubbub was on 1830.  I found out when I called CQ DX on 1827
and a EU station told me ZS8IR was there.  Listened for a long time but not a
peep heard.

9X4WW was fairly strong and worked some NA guys.  I worked him for a new one and
then he started calling for USA.

Worked EA3JE,as did others, usually the sign of a good opening.  If Lou improves
his RX situation as EA3VY has been reporting, we will no longer be able to use a
2 way contact with Lou as an indicator of a good band opening, but I am sure Lou
will have more fun!  Buena Suerte Amigos!

Although the band was fairly empty (I think most of EU was on 1830 calling ZS8),
it seemed good and open.  Worked RA6AX, RW3PZ, and RK3PA.  S58A was the loudest
EU heard but SP5GRM was not far behind. Let's hope the Sun keeps quiet until the
weekend for the ARRL 160.

Lest the DX stations think their participation is not eagerly desired, this is a
domestic contest WITH A STRONG DX COMPONENT.  Last year 42 percent of our
multipliers were DX countries and 30 percent of our QSO points were DX.  We
would not have been able to edge out  AB4RU to win the Multiop category if we
had not worked twice as many DX stations.  The potential is there for W1,2,3 to
work over 200 EU stations.  W4,5,8,9 may work 100.  It was very exciting to work
JA last year.  I hope we can do it again. There are many stations looking
forward to working a lot of DX in this contest.  DX please get on and work as
many of us you can!

73 and see you on Top Band, Rob K2WI