TopBand: JA Sunset QSO

Bill Tippett btippett@CTC.Net
Sun, 8 Dec 1996 07:25:44 -0500

K0HA wrote:

>...forgetting to check for JA's at their sunset...rare (for me)
QSO with JA5BJC around his sunset...I could have made to to XZ1N...

        This is not so unusual during low solar activity.  I recall
working many JA's from Colorado at their sunset.  I think your
comment about XZ1N is tongue-in-cheek because I am sure they
were there, but conditions didn't materialize.  In late October
1985 (CQWW SSB), VU4GDG (Andamans which is very near to XZ) came
on at his sunset and worked stations from Alabama to Washington
and everywhere in between on SSB no less!  Unfortunately those
openings are very rare.

        Now maybe SM5EDX will tell us about hearing (and working?)
N6LL today on the morning long path at 12 UTC...that's interesting!
If others noticed some unusual propagation to the USA during the
contest, I hope they will post their stories.  Learning about
these paths is one of the benefits contest activity gives us.

                                        73,  Bill W4ZV