TopBand: SM to W6/7 Short Path at 14Z

Bill Tippett btippett@CTC.Net
Sun, 8 Dec 1996 22:59:24 -0500

More on the West Coast sunrise path to SM5EDX from N7UA.  Again it
proves there is no substitute for Beverages to understanding what
is happening on this crazy band!    73,  Bill  W4ZV

"Interesting discussion. It was a nice surprise to work SM5EDX and SM4HCM
about an hour before local sunrise.  I could tell John SM5EDX was excited.
He kept sending "Bob, Bob, Bob ? ?" instead of my call sign!

I would hesitate to call this short path.  The signals peaked on the JA
beverage and were way down on the over the pole European beverage. So it
was a skewed path, somewhere between long path and short path. I find that
the lower the frequency, the more the long path moves towards North, away
from the true reciprocal heading.  During the evening here, around 0200 Z,
many loud Europeans were coming through and the path was skewed the other
direction, almost East. Last year during the CQ WW the exact same thing
occurred.   73, (Bob) N7UA,  kmarch@silverlink.net"