TopBand: Broadcast Interference

EDWARD C GRAY w0sd@juno.com
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 10:48:59 PST

Thank you to all who replied to my two posts.  Basically resolved the
problem on Thursday night about 20 hours before the 160 contest started.
 We tried Todd-WD0T TS-940 and the Broadcast "intermod" was 97% gone.  I
was stunned as I had it on three radios.    Based on one of the
suggestions  that was sent to me that the NYE tuners are low pass  which
I never had thought about we checked out the schematic on a Vectronis
HF-1500 tuner I have and  would you believe it is in a high pass
configuration so we put it in line to the TS-950SDX and it basically
cures the problem.  We did the same thing with the IC-736 and IC-706 and
it cures the problem there also.

I'm quite sure with all the ice and swr during the Phone SS we probably
shot some rf into the TS-950SDX or it may of happened after that contest
when the SWR got even worse.   We had it fused with a .068 amp fuse but
suspect something happened.  The  TS-950SDX just developed this problem.
 When I get it fixed I'll let you know what it was.

Conclusion:  I got fooled into thinking the problem was outside because I
had it on 3 radios and I still had it after putting in 30 db of
attenuation on all these radios.  I was off base in thinking the NYE
tuner would help as it is low pass.  The bottom line to me seems that a
lot of radios need help with more high pass filtering.  If you have a
problem like this,  one needs to use a high pass filter as well as
attenuation to make sure the problem is outside the shack.

Thanks to everyone who worked W0SD in the contest.  Tuned high pass
filter (antenna tuner)  was a pain as had to retune when we moved
frequency but it got us by and I am thankful.   Todd will make the post
on the score and I humbly submit it is decent..   It is a lifelong dream
to do something significant from what is truly a propagational deprived
area.   If you don't believe me I humbly suggest you  move your station
here and find out.  I am not complaining as I figured out a long time
ago that my goal was to improve the station and the operating and the
rest just happens.  One final comment.  I sure would like to know what
some of the stations use for the 160 contest.  I have heard a lot of
moonbounce signals that are louder!  I'm tickled they get on and more
power to them but some of them must literally being using the
"bedsprings"!  HI!   Again Thank you!

73,  Ed-W0SD