TopBand: XV7SW on Topband

David Kennedy davekennedy@juno.com
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 15:27:48 EST

Hi Rolf!

It was great to hear from you again! Congrats on your Topband
contacts. Am glad you made it to the U.S.  in spite of your local noise
problems even if it had to be those _very_ skilled west coast ops.

I wonder if you still might have those sunrise/sunset charts i sent to
you last year showing the 4 short time periods when grey line
propagation might be possible between XV and N.C.? Two of the
four periods are already past this season. The other two short
periods when our sunrise/sunset times coincide are centered on
Feb. 15/16 at 2312 UTC +/- and Apr. 1/2 at 1102 UTC +/- in 1997.
Hopefully these periods might be + or - a few days and minutes.

During thr rest of the season we will have to be QRV during our
mutual darkness hours and especially near the sunrise/sunset
times at one end. You have already solved the toughest problem,
i.e. getting XV on the air on 160M with a little power and something
better than a wet string for an antenna. We thank you for the time
and effort it took in that part of the world!

73 Dave N4SU

P.S. I have had some 160M contacts and E-Mail exchanges with
Tord, SM3EVR. He and several of the young SM guys visited us
overnight here in N.C. after attending the Dayton Hamvention
last year.