TopBand: HEARD ISLAND MESSAGE # 7

John Devoldere john.devoldere@innet.be
Sun, 29 Dec 1996 22:09:50 +0000

*      H E A R D   I S L A N D   D X - P E D I T I O N    *
*              PILOT PROGRAM   MESSAGE #  7               *
*        ANNOUNCING THE HEARD ISLAND 1997 EXPEDITION      *

The long awaited expedition to Heard Island will be carried
out during a five-week period in Jan.- Feb. 1997. The team
will depart Reunion Island aboard the French vessel Marion
Dufresne on Jan. 3, and return on Feb. 5. Approximately 2
weeks will be spent on Heard Island, with brief visits to
Crozet and Kerguelen Islands. A team of 21 radio amateurs,
supported by about a dozen others, has been assembled for
the expedition.

THE TEAM MEMBERS:
-----------------
1.  EA8AFJ Michel Sabatino
2.  HB9AFI Kurt Wetter
3.  HB9AHL Willy Rusch
4.  HB9BHW Hans Burki
5.  K0IR Ralph Fedor
6.  K4UEE Bob Allphin
7.  K9AJ Mike McGirr
8.  KK6EK Bob Schmieder
9.  N6EK Bob Fabry
10. N6MZ Michael Mraz
11. NP4IW Carlos Nascimento
12. OE9AMJ Arno Metzler
13. ON5NT Ghis Penny
14. ON6TT Peter Casier
15. PA3DUU Arie Nugteren
16. RA3AUU Igor (Harry) Booklan
17. VK2JDM (ex VK2TQM) David Muller
18. W8FMG Wes Lamboley
19. W0GJ (ex WA0PUJ) Glenn Johnson
20. K3VN (ex WA3YVN) Al Hernandez
21. 9V1YC James Brooks

THE SCHEDULE:
-------------
Dec. 29-Jan. 2 : Assembly on Reunion island   TO0R
Jan. 3         : Leave Reunion                TO0R/MM
Jan. 8-9       : Crozet                       TX0C
Jan. 12-13     : Arrive on Heard Island
Jan. 15-27     : Operations on Heard Island   VK0IR
Jan. 28        : Leave Heard Island
Jan. 30        : Kerguelen                    TX0K
Feb. 5         : Return to Reunion Island
Feb. 6-9       : Reunion Island               TO0R

THE PILOT STATIONS:
-------------------
Introduced by W0CP, the PILOT STATION concept was first used
in a large scale during the Peter 1st (3Y0PI) expedition. It
undoubtedly played a very important role in the success of
the expedition. This time a total of no less than 7 pilot
stations will act as the links between the expedition and
the DX community. ON4UN acts as pilot coordinator.  The
pilots will provide you with daily information on the DX-
pedition. This news bulletin is one of the first in a series
of bulletins on the Heard Island expedition, which the pilot
stations will send out during the next weeks.

The information will come to you via:

1. Packet Radio (PBBS): check your local BBS for daily news
   releases
   DX-cluster: check your DX-cluster for daily news releases
2. Internet: E-mail (the Heard Island reflector): to
   subscribe send a message containing 'subscribe' in the
   body of the text to
   heard-request@ve7tcp.ampr.org.
   The reflector address is:
   heard@ve7tcp.ampr.org
   Three days after the Heard Island was announced not less
   than 400 subscritpions has already been made!
3. Internet: the Heard Island Web pages:
   http://www.ccnet.com/~cordell/HI/
   or
   http://www.aurumtel.com/hnews.html
4. via 75 meter information nets: see schedule below.

Who is your pilot station? How can you contact him?

Europe and Africa:
ON4UN - John Devoldere (also AA4OI)
E-mail: john.devoldere@innet.be
PBBS: ON4UN@ON4AWP.BEL.EU
DX-cluster: ON4DXK

Japan and Asia:
JH1ROJ - Isao Numaguchi (Japan), also VK9NB, KG8XV
Email: isaonuma@nisiq.net
PBBS: none
DX-cluster: JH1ROJ

USA Nort East, North America (except USA), South America:
N1DG (ex WB2DND) - Don Greenbaum
E-mail: don@aurumtel.com
PBBS: N1DG@NS1N.MA.USA.
DX-Cluster: WA1G

USA, Midwest, North
W0EK,  Bob Bruner (ex WD0AEK).
E-mail: bbruner@upstel.net
PBBS: W0EK@NF0H.Mn.USA.NA
DX Cluster: K0IR

USA, Mid-West, South
K0EU, Randy Martin,
E-mail: randymartn@aol.com
PBBS: none
DX-cluster: KY0A

USA - South East
W4WW (ex N4PYD)  - Scotty Neustadter
E-mail: scotty@iquest.com
PBBS: W4WW@K4BFT.#HSV.AL.USA.NA
DX-Cluster: W4NS

USA West Coast and Oceania
W2IJ (ex WA2FIJ/6) - Jay Kobelin
E-mail: pcb4u@ix.netcom.com
PBBS: none
DX-Cluster: N7QQ

All news bulletins will carry a serial number. This is
message # 6. This will allow you to check if you missed
any information bulletin.

The news bulletins may contain three sorts of information:

1/ Hot news: information from the island, questions from and
   answers to the DX community. News of local interest will
   be brought to you by your local plot station. World-wide
   news will be released by ON4UN.
2/ Generic information: everything you may want to know
   about this expedition (most of this is available on the
   Heard Island Web pages on Internet).
3/ "Who is Who" in the Heard Island team. Every day we will
   publish the CV of two members of the expedition and
   support team.

Generic information:

The subjects covered are:

1.   Your liaisosn with Heard Island
2.   Announcing the Heard Island DX-pedition
3.   Heard Island and Internet
4.   Finances, sponsoring
5.   The island: geography and history
6.   Amateur Radio from Heard Island
7.   Traveling to Heard Island
8.   Landing on Heard Island
9.   Camping on Heard Island
10.  Radio operations from Heard Island
11.  QSO Logging on Heard Island
12.  Am I in the log?
13.  The antennas
14.  The Low Bands

THE 75 m INFO NETS:
-------------------

East coast:  time 02:00 GMT
             call: W4WW and N1DG
             frequency: 3.850 Mhz +/- QRM

Mid West +   time 04:00 GMT
West Coast   call: K0EU, W0EK and W2IJ
             frequency: 3.850 MHz

Japan:       time 12:00 GMT
             call: JH1ROJ OR JH1ORA
             frequency: 3.804 MHz OR 14.145 MHz

Europe:      time 22:00 GMT
             call: ON4UN
             frequency: 3.780 MHz (+/- QRM)

73, and a merry Christmas to all!

Your pilots: ON4UN, N1DG, W0EK, K0EU, W4WW, W2IJ, JH1ROJ

*      H E A R D   I S L A N D   D X - P E D I T I O N    *
*                    END OF MESSAGE # 7                   *
*  Dec 25, 1996 - The Heard Island Pilots  (announc.txt)  *

*                 H.I. INTERNET ADDRESSES                 *
*Heard Island reflector: heard@ve7tcp.ampr.org            *
*Heard Island WWW site: http://www.ccnet.com/~cordell/HI/ *
*                       http://www.aurumtel.com/hnews.html*