TopBand: GENTLEMEN'S BAND??

Tenex Communications vertex@mercury.execulink.com
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 17:01:55 -0500 (EST)

Well, it used to be, and nothing but.  Years ago, before I became an avid
DXer on topband, I used to listen a lot on 160, and was pleasantly surprised
at the gentlemanly conduct I heard.
Today, things are "different".  With the low sunspot numbers wiping out 20M
and above, it appears that a lot of the "DX wannabees" have migrated to 160
and 80 and dragged their abominable operating habits with them.
There are well-meaning "policemen" out there who do what they feel is best
in keeping the DX tx freq. clear.  However, there are others who are either
ignorant of proper operating practices or just plain ignorant, and their
conduct on the bands (no matter which ones) shows.
We just have to remember that ham radio is just a vertical slice of society,
and every layer is represented.  On nights like last night with JY9, I
relish a good book, a cozy wood stove, and my dawg laying at my feet.
Happy New Year to all, and may the spirit of The Old Man fly up your left
nostril sideways!

73, Bill,
VE3CSK