TopBand: ZS8IR

George Guerin George.Guerin@kellogg.com
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 11:57:47 -0500

--IMA.Boundary.008674748

From: "Chris R. Burger" <CRB@knersus.nanoteq.co.za>
To: topband@contesting.com
Date:          Fri, 8 Nov 1996 06:51:28 +200
Subject: TopBand: ZS8IR
Sender: owner-topband@akorn.net

     Hi Topbanders:

Author:  "Chris R. Burger" <CRB@knersus.nanoteq.co.za> at BC_INTERNET
Date:    11/8/96 6:51 AM

After several requests, here's the latest as I have it:

Chris did manage to get the antenna up and running.  However, another
gale (60 knots or more) snapped the antenna below the 40 m trap.
Chris is now re-working the antenna to remove 40 m capability and
restore 80 and 160 m capability.  He has other good antennas for 40.

His work is being hampered by the practically daily gales, but he's
determined to be back on the low bands for CQWW CW.

I'm off to the USA for a week.  After that, it's time to get my own
station ready for CQWW.  I had a wind storm with gusts up to 90 knots
last week, and while nothing came down, the antennas are pointing
into the ground by about 30 degrees.  The mast bent just above the
tower.  I guess I was lucky; several of my neighbours have uprooted
trees littering the landscape.  The joys of a hilltop QTH!

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ

For everyone's info, Chris de Beer and I have been e-mailing
on repair possibilities.  He can get the Battle Creek
Special up and running on 160 without too much problem.  80
meters will be OK too, although the gails may not allow him
to fine tune the antenna to 3510.  More on that later.

The antenna was donated to NCDXF, but the Battle Creek
Lowbanders will continue to provide technical and material
support for the antenna.

Chris also told me the wind gusts were actually over 180
km/hr  or 112+ mph!!!

The BCS antenna going to Heard Island is already redesigned
for 100 mph winds with icing or 125 mph winds without ice.
Not to worry there.

Hope to hear y'all in ZS8 pile-ups soon

George, K8GG

--IMA.Boundary.008674748--