TopBand: ZS4TX

Garry Shapiro ni6t@scruznet.com
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 21:49:56 -0800

Larry Tyree wrote:

> ZS4TX was great copy around 0320Z.  It sure would have been nice if
> he would have listened for the west coast after working NI6T for
> a little.  He was gone after about 10 minutes.
>
> Tree N6TR/7
> tree@contesting.com

Hi cuz.

In fact, Bernie appeared around 0310 or so--I heard him tune up-- called
CQ, and worked several east coast stations. He then asked for WEST
COAST---and was inundated with more east coast stations. Since they were
giving him 589/599 reports, one presumes they heard him say WEST COAST.
After several of these, Bernie INSISTED---WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST
COAST--and some (at least) held off. THAT--and the fact that I have been
trying with Bernie at his sunrise for many weeks--provided the
opportunity. He went split not long after that--and had a helluva pile.

Bernie told me:
"I worked about 35 stns with you and N6TR from the West. N6TR had
difficulty to copy me - I gave him a rprt at 0329 and only worked him at
0340. That is about 30 mins after sunrise! Amazing condx. This was
definitely an opening with an East Coast Wall.   I never had such a
pile-up in my lfe on 160! Not even from ZS0Z!

I know for a fact I never even sliced the tip off the pile up.  I
tried for KL7  -- did you hr any?"

I heard no KL7 in the pile, but plenty of other west coast calling,
after he went split. I copied him until well past 0340---with almost NO
QSB.

--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, The DXer