TopBand: SSB on TOPBAND

dennis g. peterson dennisgp@mut1.muscanet.com
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 21:08:35 -0600

Hi Gang;  Well, I think I've got to dump my two cents worth at this time
concerning KS2D's comments about the ragchewers on 1850 and about the
qso's/ssb down below 1830 and 1820.  First of all, this has been going on
for the 21 years I've been a ham and been active on topband.  We've tried
several times to have a band plan designated and defined; but the ARRL or
whoever can't seem to agree with us.  I'm sure you all are aware of that
NASTY 8 LETTER WORD CALLED P O L I T I C S.  Many times back around 1984 85
and 86 submissions for a band plan was suggested and written ONLY to have it
denied and shot down by someone or somebody in the ARRL.  We only asked for
if I remember correctly that cw be given the lower portion of 50 Khz of 160
and the rest for ssb, data and whatever else.  NO GO.  I can remember back
around 1983-84-85 when many of the rag chewers would sit right on 1830-1832
and qso when a DX station was trying in vain to get through.  Many of the
new operators don't know and are not aware of the frequency of operating
allocation for their country on topband.  This is where we the older
operators must try to educate them but in a LIBERAL manner.  We can't go off
HALF COCKED and be RUDE or OFFENSIVE to them lest we want a confrontation
that's not necessary.  It's easier to catch a FLY with Honey than it is with
SALT & Vinegar.
        For the rag chewers and Yakkers ON 1850 I HAPPEN TO BE ONE OF THEM
MYSELF AND for anyone to say that it's time they move up the band
evidentally hasn't been around ham radio or had his license long enough to
know or understand what amateur radio is all about.  And yes there are a few
guys who get on 1819 or 20 just about every morning from Missour and they
have for several years.  If DX happens to come in close to them, if they are
notified in a GENTLEMANLY WAY; usually they will stand by or move up for
you.  HOWEVER, if you talk nasty or are rude to them; REST ASSURED THEY
WON'T BUDGE OR MOVE A SINGLE khz FOR YOU.  And you've just labeled yourself
forever on topband.  As STEW PERRY once said, "160 meters is THE GENTLEMAN'S
BAND".  If we continue in the direction we're headed with all ofa the
slander and garbage on 160 it won't take the ARRL and anyone else long to
TAKE THE BAND AWAY FROM US.   If we're going to exert so much energy in
frustrations here on the band, why can't we use it in a more positive
direction in trying to establish a band plan whereby cw operators and ssb
operators can get along like they do on the other bands.  I think after 20
years of trying and knocking our heads against the brick walls, we need some
either newer or better representation in the ARRL who will listen and give
us a band plan that can be enjoyed and adhered to by all.  UNTIL we get this
type of co-operation and mutual understanding on 160 meters we are simply
destined towards going nowhere with it.
Well, that's my two cents worth; LIKE IT OR NOT I can remember the days when
we used to sit for hours on this band waiting for a single CQ.  Now we've
got the CQ's and an abundance of qso's and rag chewers and all we seem to do
is complain about them.  I'm sorry that there tends to be an elite few who
just can't get through life without having something to B I T _ _ about.  73's

                        W H Y  C A N 'T  W E  A L L,  J U S T  G E T  A L O
N G ?

N7CKDennis/0
                   YOUR GUIDE AND BAND-AID ON TOPBAND.
		   AN AID TOWARDS HELPING YOU KNOW AT
		   A GLANCE WHERE A PARTICULAR COUNTRY
                   IS ALLOWED OPERATING PRIVIDEDGES
                   ACCORDING TO THEIR OWN INDIVIDUAL
                   COUNTRIES FREQUENCY OF ALLOCATIONS.
                   First implemented in March of 1984.
		<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
		/	   N7CKD's WORLD TOPBAND          \
                \                                         /
                /                 FREQUENCY               \
                \                                         /
                /            ALLOCATIONS TABLES           \
                \                                         /
                /          FOR TOPBAND/160 METERS         \
                \                                         /
                /          [COPYRIGHTS 1984-1996]         \
                \                                         /
                /                                         \
                <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>>

	USA ******************** $6.50 US FUNDS/CHECK OR MONEY ORDER
	CANADA/MEXICO ********** $7.50 US FUNDS/CHECK OR MONEY ORDER
	FOREIGN/DX ************* $8.50 US FUNDS/CHECK OR MONEY ORDER

	Each set of tables are shipped FIRST CLASS MAILING and includes
	POSTAGE, SHIPPING AND HANDLING CHARGES.

	 MAIL TO:
       	N7CKDennis G. Peterson
        1815 Mulberry Avenue