TopBand: Re: IG9 CQWW Operation

K1ZM@aol.com K1ZM@aol.com
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:37:56 -0500

Hi Gang

I have been reading the IG9 story and offer the following
comments/experiences/observations.

Whenever a given contest operation seems beyond belief or head and shoulders
above other scores, it is far too easy to simply jump to conclusions.
 Imaginations run WILD and allegations (usually unsupported) cast doubts as
to excessive power, cheating, use of packet spotting - whatever!

There is nothing more UNFAIR than to prejudge an operation based on heresay
absent the facts of the matter.

For now, we should be CONGRATULATING these guys on a superb performance and
trying to learn from their efforts.  And you can be sure the CQWW Committee
will take a hard but fair and  objective look at this operation before the
final CQ pages are typeset!

Having been around this band a few years (it seems like AGES) and having
operated from NP4A on 160M numerous times, I can offer a few related
experiences that may be helpful to some of the newer guys:

1) On 160M, electron absorption efficiency is HIGHER than on any of our other
amateur bands.  This phenomenon also means that signals more toward the
equator are going to be far less affected by polar absorption than signals
emanating from origins even as close as 500 miles Northward.

2) Salt water plays another major role.  On Cape Cod, my signals are AT LEAST
10 DB louder in Europe than they are with similar antennas 180 miles to the
West in Eastern New York.

3) Low band prop was abysmal during CQWW which would exacerbate these factors
even more.  It is indeed possible it would make signals from what is
essentially North Africa stand out by what seemed like huge margins to those
listening.

4) At NP4A, I often found I could work deep Russians and Asians as far East
as 9M2, with relative ease - while this was virtually impossible from New
York just 1500 miles to the North.  While NY was closer to these points, the
distance was not the issue - the effect of less polar absorption was the key
- and when you look at where these guys were, plus add in the effects of
totally PUNK condx, it is vy easy to see what probably happened.

5) The boys have noted they videotaped much of the operation.  This may help
to set matters to rest.  As Warner Wolf is accustomed to saying, "Let's go to
the videotape!!!" BEFORE we cast stones!

6) Last year in CQWW SSB I singlebanded 160M for a new USA record.  On
Saturday afternoon at 4PM local (2000z) I awoke from a nap and turned on my
FT-1000.  To my amazement at 1840Khz, here was IG9W (last year's call) at
about S7 on an otherwise completely dead band!  At the time I made a note of
it, figured out where they were located and realized immediately based upon
my experience what was going on.

The moral of the story is quite simply this and the following axioms seem to
prove incontrovertible year after year:

On 160M South is best.  USA East Coast is a damn sight better than the black
hole.   The USA LEFT COAST is for those with the patience of JOB.  And those
poor souls who inhabit the FAR NORTH regions of the world all deserve our
prayers each night before we go to bed!

I suggest we stop berating these guys on these pages and congratulate them on
a superlative effort - until irrefutable facts are presented otherwise!

Good show guys!  Thanks for showing us what can be done by a good team in a
great location with good antennas!

73 Jeff K1ZM

K1ZM@aol.com