TopBand: Vacuum Caps and Inverted Vees

Harold Smith PRICE.SMITH@worldnet.att.net
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 04:59:02 +0000

To all that asked about the Caps. They were new ceramic ones and at Dayton
1996 they cost $75.00 each. I have bought 8877s from Tom Bruckner and I am
very satisfied with his service. Several other locals have had the same
experince.

Now to the inverted V story. I should have said that an inverted V on 160
would have to be a 264 feet to equal the performance on 20 mtrs at 66 feet.
Much less than 132 feet on 160 the vertical component becomes less.

Yes, I worked DX on 160 when I first got on with a bent sloper at 50 ft and
bare-foot. Going from 100 watts to 1.5 kW made a huge difference. But going
from that antenna to a shunt-fed tower, made me very competitive. My 80 ft
tower with stacked beams to 100ft is electricly a quarter-wave at 1.833 mHz.

73 de Price W0RI