TopBand: 160 Magic

Bill Tippett btippett@ctc.net
Tue, 08 Oct 1996 07:50:32 -0400 (EDT)

At 08:38  10/7/96 -0500, you wrote:

>  Comparing receive antennas on ZB2FK produced interesting results...
>With harvest not done yet here, all of my beverages are not up yet.
>Currently I have them at 8, 43, 84, and 323 degrees.  323 was the best
>of the four!

Bill, best reception on Beverages at right angles to the desired path
is often an indication of very high angle propagation conditions.  When
I used to observe this from Colorado, I would immediately switch to my
dipole and often found that to be the best receive AND transmit antenna.
If you have one, give that a try next time.  Although mine had an apex
at 45 meters with the ends at 30 meters, the radiation pattern was still
straight up due to the low height in wavelengths above ground.  This
effect is especially noticeable around sunrise and sunset.

                                        73,  Bill  W0ZV