TopBand: Coaxial Beverage Antenna from "The Low Band Monitor" by W0CM

dennis g. peterson dennisgp@mut1.muscanet.com
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 20:54:11 -0500

--=====================_845103251==_

Hi All;  I would never have guessed that my posting of this rather unique
little beverage called a coaxial Beverage of 125 feet would have created
such a stir in interest.  I'm sitting here again this evening after snaking
the antenna outside the door of the shack onto the deck which is 13 feet
above ground on top of the two car garage.  On the vertical, a 15/s9 signal
becomes s7-s8 and the noise is down somewhat as well on the coaxial antenna.
I was afraid that with the antenna coiled up here in the shack that it
wouldn't play as well once I got it outside.  To my surprise it works even
better and i'm certain that if I could get it in a straight line towards
Europe or the east coast it might even do better.

I am going to include with this message an attachment of that article
written for the reflector but minus the drawing at this time.  I hope Lance
Johnson who runs the Low Band Monitor will allow me to do so.  By the way
for those interested in the Low Band Monitor, it's a 40-80-and 160 meter
monthly newsletter magazine with load of information on the low bands as to
who's on, where, what time and frequency etc.  It also contains other vital
information to those dedicated operators to the low bands.  If your
interested you just might want to check out the following:
http://www.qth.com/lowband or write to LOW BAND MONITOR at P.O. Box 1047;
Elizabeth, CO  80107.  Thansk and I hope this attachment explains the
antenna better.

--=====================_845103251==_

Material needed include the following:  125' length of coax RG8x is
best but solid dielectric works as well.  Three PVC or wooden support
masts that will allow the coax to be elevated about 8' above ground.
The following table shows COAX TYPE each section of coax as there are
two separate length needed.

COAX TYPE               "A LENGTH"      "B LENGTH"      TOTAL
FOAM DIELECTRIC         100'            25'             125'

SOLID DIELECTRIC         88'            37'             125'

On coax "B" solder the braid and center conductor together on BOTH ENDS.
On coax "A" solder the braid and center conductor together (ONE END ONLY
that end which will connect to coax "B").  The opposite end of coax "A"
will be used to INVERT THE COAXIAL FEED (see note below)

  1.    String the coaxial beverage out in your favored direction.
  2.    Directly under the feedpoint drive a 10' ground rod into the ground.
  3.    Attach a ground radial wire slightly burried underneath the coaxial
        beverage antenna
  4.    Attach wire from ground rod to center conductor of coaxial beverage
        antenna
  5.    Attach feedpoint coax from receiver to coaxial beverage antenna
                (a)     Center conductor of feed to braid of coaxial beverage
                (b)     Braid of feed to center conductor/ground of coaxial
                        beverage.

DIRECTIVITY:     This antenna has directivity off the ends.  If one has the
room, one may want to position several support poles in different directions
and simply PIVOT the antenna in the direction he chooses or build 4 of them
and position them as needed.

*****The coax feedline running from the shack to the coaxial beverage can be
of any length. *****

Feed Point:  The feed point is a bit tricky---NOTE that:  THE CENTER CONDUCTOR
OF THE COAX FEED FROM THE STATION RECEIVER CONNECTS TO THE BRAID OF THE COAX
ANTENNA.  THE BRAID OF THE COAX FROM THE STATION RECEIVER CONNECTS TO THE
CENTER CONDUCTOR OF THE COAX ANTENNA.

Limitations:  This antenna is not designed for receiving on 40 or 80 meters,
but should enhance the signal to noise ratio on the 160 meter band.

Original Concept:  There was an interesting Coaxial aInverted L article in
the August 1984 issue of CQ Magazine, written by Coleman Rowland, W4TWW and
James McQueen, WB4LJP.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THIS INFORMATION AND ARTICLE WAS TAKEN FROM THE AUGUST LOW BAND MONITOR AND IS
USED BY W0CM IN LIBERAL, KANSAS AND IS DEPLOYED ON A TYPICAL SUBURBAN LOT IN
THE CENTER OF THE USA.  As I did not ask for permission to reproduce this article,
I hope Lance Johnson will allow the information.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--=====================_845103251==_

***************************
*N7CKD/Dennis G. Peterson *
*1815 Mulberry Avenue     *