TopBand: Rcvr inputs: Yaesu,Icom,Kwd

John Goller k9uwa@cris.com
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 08:41:41 +0000

All this about TS-930's etc reminds me of again of blowing up the
Front End in your Radios...None of the Mfg's really Turn Off the
receivers in Xmit Mode.....if your beverage/loop/ewe is close to your
transmit antenna you run the risk of front end failure by using the
receiver input for your rcv. antenna.....I smoked the front end in my
IC-765 twice before I figured out why it happened....know of several
other guys that smoked their radios...the Ten Tec radios do it too.
One was an FT-1000d.  "The Cure" for this is to run a relay box that
opens and grounds the rcvr front end while radio is in xmit
mode..Friend Gary KD9SV made a really nice box that does the above as
well as a failsafe mode that if the box fails to operate your Amp
won't key up....so you know right away that the relays have failed as
well as without the amp on, your radio won't have enough power to blow
the rcvr front end.....and the relays are replacable with Rat Shack
parts if it does quit.  Relays are quick enough for full break in.
good luck cu on the band de JOHN K9UWA
John K9UWA

k9uwa@cris.com