TopBand: 80m 4-square owners...

Lars Harlin sm3bdz@pobox.com
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 17:43:32 +0200

Hi all!

I ve been using a 4-sq array with elevated radials for three years now. It s a very simple design all made by wires in the trees. The radiators are "almost" vertical and I have 3 elevated radials at each radiator, elevated abt 4 mtrs above ground. I m using hybrid-
coupler for -90 degrees and a halfwave section of coax for -180. At first I had a toroid transformer for
-180, but I found that the phasedelay were closer to
160 than 180 deg. The transformer also affected the
hybrid coupler so that it was not possible to get a perfect -90 delay! F/B improved quite a bit after the
mod.

Talking about efficiency, I mean that there are two
kinds. RADIATION-efficiency and REFLECTION-
efficiency. To benefit from both I guess that there
is no substitute for 100 radials, elevated or
on the ground.

Still, as I ve no room for 100 radials I use elevated
radials so that I at least can get good RADIATION
efficiency, and I must say that so far it s the best
antenna I ve had for 80!

73 s de Lars / SM3BDZ