TopBand: beware

Bill Tippett btippett@CTC.Net
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 16:50:28 -0500 (EST)

W0MU wrote:

>May I further suggest that you do not open any attachments from
>unknown sources.  Treat them like junk mail.  Throw it away!

Besides using a current anti-virus program, I set up my E-mail so that
all attachments are stored to a floppy rather than to my hard drive.
If you have Eudora, you can do this by going to "Special" (at the
top of your E-mail page), then "Settings", then "Attachments" and
select the drive you want attachments stored on.  This way there
is no way an attachment can make it to your hard drive unless you
want it to.

I already got one reply that this is another hoax, but the Web Page
at http://ciac.llnl.gov/ sounds authentic to me, and the domain
indicates Lawrence Livermore National Labs which is a part of the
Department of Energy that has set up the CIAC (Computer Incident
Advisory Capability).  However Symantec (an anti-virus supplier)
has reported it IS a hoax, so maybe CIAC was taken in.  Caveat
user!

Anyway, let's get back to 160 topics.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV