TopBand: VERTICAL ANTENNA SELECTION

Tue, 22 Apr 1997 09:47:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I was very successful with a Butternut (2-Band version) with elevated
radials, on 80M. Have attached a rope to the top of the Butternut, pulled it
up over the fork of a tree, had the feedpoint at approx. 10 feet above ground
and attached 4 insulated litze wires (multi strand, very thin wire, 20
strands, surrounded by high-temp insulator, diameter in total like a 22 AWG
wire) radials, at 10 feet hight above ground (almost parallel to ground or 90
degree angle to vetical), the 4 radials (tuned) are spread at 90 degrees. The
thin litze wire strands are soldered together at the ground of the antenna.
Since they are indivually insulated, I might have even 80 elevated ( 4 litze
wires x 20 strands) radials instead of four??  However, the vertical works
just great, power applied is about 1,500W. Feedline is RG-58, Radio Shack.
(the kids are still in need of the money first...)

I have checked it (80M only) several "greyline" afternoons against VK6LK. The
vertical is almost equal to the 4 element wire beam at 100 feet (at VK's
direction), but only AFTER I had pulled it up to 10 feet, before, ground
mounted, on a very good radial system, it did not perform nearly as good. I
am thinking of buying a second one, do the same trick, and phase them as 1/4
lambda distance.

I believe that a similar concept should work on Topband as well.

I hope this input helps making your project a successful one.

Best regards
Rolf