TopBand: ground losses

Jim Henderson jhenders@tdrss.wsc.nasa.gov
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:22:26 -0600

Esteemed Reflectees:

        Reducing losses in the ground system or counterpoise under a
vertical is one important consideration, and one most of us can address.
Reducing the power-robbing effects on low-angle radiation by rotten ground
onditions a little farther away is another, and is something most of us
cannot remedy as easily. Has anyone seen any hard numbers or other good
data regarding comparative ground losses between vertically polarized
electric field radiators versus vertically polarized magnetic field radiators?

        I have seen and heard much anecdotal evidence there is less
low-angle loss from the magnetic radiator over poor ground than the
lectric radiator, and my own experience tends to support this. But I have
>never seen anything in Amateur circles resembling a real test. Work on the
ag-U, DMS, and similar types, has been published in the ARRL Antenna
compendiums and other sources, but does anyone know of any scientific
studies, IEEE, or other work that would be applicable to Amateur designs?

        Considering the current thread of verticals and their ground
losses, I would think any practical antenna alternatives that might
decrease the low-angle losses would be of special interest to Topband
Reflectees just now, while there is still some prime antenna-building
weather left.

73 de Jim, KF7E