TopBand: A start

Mike W. Burger mike@krypton.nmr.Hawaii.Edu
Mon, 1 Dec 97 10:28:49 HST

I made my first 160 contact.  I am restricted to a small lanai.
I Kluged an antenna out of a pair of Hustler 40 meter whips in
the center, "loaded" on each end with a clip lead, a 30 meter
resonantor, a clip lead and a large metal stew can.  Quite
a contraption, but the MFJ tuner would load it.  At least it
throws a signal 30 miles.  It resonated by itself at 2.9 Mhz,
another big stew can and I'm there!

If anyone has an idea on how to cram a 160 meter transmitting
antenna in a space 8x14 feet I would be interested.

Can you transmit on a multiturn loop?  I see designs for various
large single turn loops that allege to be efficient transmitting
antennas, and receiving antennas with multiturns.

What is the shortest 160 meter helical antenna that has managed
to transmit successfully?  I mean SHORT! like 12 feet end to end.

I understand that KH7R had a good contest on 160 meters, and when
I heard KH6CC he was pumping out contacts at about one a minute
to the mainland about sundown and about 10:30 pm HST he was doing
about one a minute to JA land.

My Kludge could only hear a few of the stations coming back to him
and the local stations.  Not a promising sign for the first try
at a 12 foot 160 meter antenna.

Mike Burger   University of Hawaii at Manoa   Department of Chemistry
      AH7R - QRP-L #1053 -  FISTS - BL11ch -  Honolulu County