TopBand: Down Under Diary

Steve Ireland sire@omen.com.au
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 05:26:23 +0800

While those good conditions have been happening in the northern half of the
world, on the whole it has been somewhat noisy and dead down under on 160m
since the CQ WW CW.

Conditions during the ARRL 160m Contest were most disappointing, with only
W7GG, K1ZM and W4WA on the first nite, and KH7R and N6RO on the second.  The
VKs were on, guys, but the conditions weren't...

However, things took a turn for the better on 8/12/97, with a bit of a lift
in the A index and a drop in the K. Eight Europeans were worked, ranging
from SV2 to G, OH, OZ, LA and DL.  For those who need BV, BV4ME is also
active again and was worked on 1830 at 2041Z that day.

Things then went quiet until 11/12, when I checked 10m just before bed and
found it open.  Next morning, it was up at 04.45 local time, with the band
in excellent shape.  VE1ZZ had a superb 569/579 signal and 9 Europeans were
worked, plus A45XR for a new one (thanks, Chris!).  For those who need A45,
he has good ears (he worked me through a large EU pile up!) and an excellent
signal.

The band is already starting to get very static-cy in the evenings.  I've
just got to get that Slinky bev up!

73,

Steve, VK6VZ