TopBand: Don't abandon ship yet!

Robert Brown bobnm7m@baker.cnw.com
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 06:55:20 -0800 (PST)

Friends in Radio Land,

You may recall that I make a point of logging the 1-8 Angstrom Xray
background from the sun; that is given in the hfprop report each day.

Right now, the background flux is falling, even going below the B1.0
"support level", to use a Wall Street term.  In fact, it is down to A5.7
at last reading.  But looking at the records, a pattern seems to be
emerging, one with two over-lapping active regions separated by a region
of little activity.  Thus, the Xray background record shows deep notches
at August 20, October 25 and now seems to be heading for another one
around Xmas time.  With that little data to go on, I would suggest that
the background flux will rise again after Xmas and go to or stay above
the B1.0 support level for the month on January and possibly into February.?

Let's see how it goes.  Maybe we'll get lucky and have some strong peaks
in IONIZING RADIATION, like on August 30 and November 4 when the Xray
background reached B8.5 and C1.7.  Now those were conditions for DXing!

73,

Bob, NM7M

P.S.  I seem to get propagation reports from prop@lyris.digimark.net but
they will no longer accept my messages.  I short, I seem to have been the
victim of a random act of unsubscription.  How do I get re-instated?