TopBand: One Way prop?

rgraves@UVic.CA rgraves@UVic.CA
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 14:29:09 +0000

Conditions on the last two evenings were unusual at this QTH.
I worked a number of Europeans and the C56, usually with only one or
two calls and received reports of 559-579.  This suggests
excellent propagation from here to there as I do not often
enjoy such success. However, the received signals never, for any DX
station, moved the S meter (narrow CW filter). This is using the
preamp and TX vertical as rx antenna. The signals were probably 2 S
units below moving the S meter. An honest report would be 419.
Normally, Europeans have to show an S2 on the meter at least to be
workable, and peaks of S5-7 are not all that unusual for other
openings.  My noise level was the usual S8 with wide filter, so my
receiver is still working. Did anyone else observe this?

73,
Rod VE7FPT