TopBand: VR97BG QRV again

VR97BrettGraham vr2bg@harts.org.hk
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 17:21:41 +0000

Added more wire to the HF2 Christmas day - a radial & what was meant to be
a radiator, but became radial #4 instead.  Two dozen JAs & YC0LOW were
worked that evening, the first Qs on this antenna & this season for VR97BG.

Boxing day saw the addition of top loading wires & some more JAs, YB1AQS &
HL0Z/5 were worked that evening.  OH1XX & OH1MA were worked Saturday
morning, with a few other weak Scandanavians heard.  The top loading wires
are meant to be pulled out when working 160, but I find I must connect the
loose ends to the antenna even when they are lowered for operation on the
higher bands.

With the equivalent to a rubber duck antenna for 160, I wasn't expecting
much more in the TBDC - but worked in the first hour were N7UA, W7AWA,
KH6AT, W2VJN, NL7Z, VE7BS, VE3IY/7, K9JF/7, W7GG, N6TR/7, N5KO, W7AM,
VE7SV, W7CAT & VY1JA, two UA0s, VK6VZ, two OHs, an SM & another dozen JAs.

As N5KO put it, incredible!

73, VR97BrettGraham