TopBand: Re: baloon vertical feedline

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:16:26 EST

I would suggest scrounging up CATV hardline in 3/4" diameter....a very
common size. This cable is generally free as reel ends of 150-300'.
You can easily homebrew splices that will be fine at HF. Many articles
published over the years on how to do it.

The loss of RG-8 type cable is about .25db/100' on 160M so a 1000' run
will almost burn up half your power.
OTOH the hardline has only .1dB/ 100' at 5 MHz ( the lowest my chart goes
is .1db/100') so at 160M a 1000' run is almost lossless. Even 1/2" CATV
hardline is under 1dB for a 1000' run and with 1/2" you can use PL-258
double female barrel splices.   Cheap and effective.

Have fun.....Carl   KM1H