TopBand: Turf wars

Chris R. Burger crb@nanoteq.co.za
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 16:05:09 +200

I had two individuals reacting when I mentioned the remark about the
'Turf War' between 9X4WW.  Both claimed that they had written the
original post, but that nothing sinister had been implied.  The one
was apologetic about his misunderstood remark, while the other
requested an apology:

> I said nothing about any personal vendettas Chris and I strongly
> object to that statement. All I said was that Chris was already
> in full swing when 9X4WW showed up and confusion reigned on this
> end.  My only suggestion was that both stations work out their
> differences which meant frequencies NOT a personal battle. I
> expect that you would post an apology to the list as fast as you
> were to flame me.

> My ONLY purpose for the posting was for those 2 guys to get
> coordinated (mission accomplished). And since Chris was already
> operating for at least a 1/2 hr before Mark showed up I can not
> understand how anyone would think I was criticizing Chris!!

Obviously, my perception of the posting(s) was mistaken.  My
apologies.

While on the subject of turf wars, it's real fun down here with all
the stations on the band.  The V5 guys, ZS5LB, ZS6EZ and ZS6KT were
all calling CQ around our sunrise this morning.  It's a good thing
ZS8IR decided to sleep in!

It looks like the V5s have annexed 1824.  ZS8IR seems to be staying
put on 1821.  This morning, ZS5LB was on 1832, and the only gap I
could find was around 1830. It felt a little claustrophobic between
the V5 pileup and the ZS5, but at least I managed to work a few
stations.

When the V5 winds down, we will be able to return to the 1826 area.

Incidentally, being on the west coast, Namibia has much lower QRN at
sunrise.  I expect they should be able to hear the Americas much
better than we can, and should also benefit from their Atlantic
takeoff.  They were even hearing pretty well into Europe last night,
considering the mid-summer static.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ