TopBand: V5/ZS6YG

L. L. Lamb W4NL-KA4S@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 16:25:54 +0000

Charlie, W0YG (I guess he was operating last night) did a super job of
digging us out of a mess!  Gosh did he hang in there.  It took over 2 hours
to make it.
Bernie, W3UR is correct on some points, but let me remind my friend and
fellow PVRCer that being in W3 (and I was for 14 years) has an advantage
over some of the other garden spots of the U. S. of A!  We struggle out here
Bernie and try to be good operators on a gentleman's band.  I do and don't
know if I was one on your "list" or not.....I could have been without being
other than the gentleman I try to be.  Charlie (or the op) did take some
tailenders....I wouldn't have and have not when out of the country... but he
did and he's there and we are not....he took me tailending.  Many of us are
thankful for the V5 in our logs this morning.  When tailending starts along
with the huge "pile" and weak signals, it is difficult to operate without
calling on top of others.  Many of us try to time it, but no matter how much
we try, it will appear we are doing the ugly things you talked about.

It will continue.... however, I believe most of us are good ops and would be
there for the ones we "crush" (!) to help them put an antenna up the next day.

Bernie, I know you are well meaning, but to put us all in the same bag
without a level playing field is a bit unfair, don't you think?

One thing which does bother me just a bit is hearing some of those who have
worked a V5 on 160 in the fracas the first night.  They make it, which is
good...some of these folks do it again later in the operations.  Shame.
That could be viewed less than gentlemanly....then again they would be out
there helping with an antenna, writing something which helps the rest of us
or sending money to help yet another rare one.

Kindness comes in many forms while DXing.  Most of us exercise it as a
matter of course.  A pile-up masks the kindness, but it's there just the
same and we love the pileups.

Now for the ZS8, S21, VQ9, KH2 and tons of others I need!!  Hang in there
Bernie and enjoy being able to hear better on the Topband!

73, Lynn W4NL ...in the mountains of East Tennessee...a PVRCer