TopBand: v5/zs6yg-another perspective

Mike Smith-VE9AA, Coreen Smith ve9aa@brunnet.net
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 12:03:07 -0400

Bernie, Group,
I partially agree with Bernies' comments, but allow me to add my 2c
worth as well please.

It IS true that some guys did non-stop calling. Never stopped no
matter what. Period. These guys should be taken out back and whipped
with a EWE. (....  ..)

Now, one thing I found at various times is the V5 would answer
OTHER than those he was specifying, Ie: he worked k1zz when he was
calling for w6/7........Also the n0, when he was calling for w6/7
Worked a few Europeans earlier on when he was calling for NA.
Early on he was almost glued to one single freq. Moved around a bit
later on, but not much.
Also he might say "N9AU N9AU 559 559 N9AU" and then go on to
work wb8vvv or something.  I heard him plain as day. In his last hour
he was well over the s9 mark here.  Also, there were many times he
would work the "front-enders" as you call them.
T H I S (imho) was his greatest mistake (by far) It only encourages
more of them same.   The unruly mob will  react to whatever
instructions and actions that the DX makes (within certain limits)
There will always be the jerks and lids wherever you go.(but not mni)
I, too, sat in the pileup MOST of the night 'cuz he busted my call
early early on in the game. I tried to correct it, but alas, the
aformentioned reasons.
So, yes, there was an unruly mob. (and I was in there) and there were
many "frontenders" (I tried this a couple of times-but only a couple)
but it was not totally their fault.  I have heard more well behaved
pileups for rarer DX. 3y0pi, vk0ir pileups were MUCH easier to work.

BTW, after calling for 3 hours when I was "supposed" to be calling, I
hesitantly called overtop of n4vj (or someone) after I heard the V5
get his call right, and worked him first crack.  I don't exactly feel
good about it, but the n4 made his Q, and I did get him in the log.
I would have preferred the conventional "track, listen, call" method
rather than be FORCED to be a LID, but if that's the example the DX
was setting, well...........
-MIKE/ve9aa. possibly 4 cents worth, hi

Michael & Coreen Smith
271 Smith Rd, Waterville