TopBand: jps anc4

Rolf T Salme 100112.3500@CompuServe.COM
12 Feb 97 05:35:05 EST

\Jim, K7GE, wrote:

 >I've been fooling with an anc4 for the past six months with lack of results.
 >Used a few external noise antennas etc. Would like to hear from anyone who
 >might be able to put me on the road to success. 73 Jim K7GE

Jim,

I started to use an ANC-4 recently and I am very pleased with mine. The
2x2 m dipole suggested in the manual was not enough for all bands, so I am
now using a 15 m longwire for noise pickup, and that works very well. AMOF,
it is of even more help than my JPS NIR-12.

The real miracle actually takes place on 7 megs, where I have severe but
well-defined electric spikes at S8 all over the band, maybe emanating from
just one source. Turning the knobs of the ANC-4 reduces the noise to zero and
suddenly fills the band with signals (when there are some).

On 7 megs I first try to find a reasonably good null with the Noise Phase
control, after which I adjust the Noise Gain a little back and forth again,
and this normally results in zero noise (you should of course have some noise
to eliminate). The null thus achieved with the Noise Gain is extremely sharp.

I have connected my ANC-4 to the separate terminal for receiving antennas on
my TR-7 to be able to use it with my receving loop for 160 as well.

And here is my question to the experts: what are the chances that wanted
signals are in phase with the stuff that you have just eliminated, thereby
being ditched as well?

73 and good luck,
de Rolf
XV7SW