TopBand: V5 to west coast

Garry & Yelena ni6t@scruznet.com
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:28:43 -0800

At about 0200Z Thursday, somebody back east posted the V5 on 1822.5.
This was about 15 min after our sunset in Northern California and I
checked it out, not expecting anything.

Big surprise! A Q5 signal, clear as a bell, and growing--and no pileup.
First attempt, up 2 at 0207, rang the bell. Pinch me! I got on the
phone, and woke up a few candidates expecting to look nearer his
sunrise. Others, alas, were not home. KA6W was in Florida attending the
Shuttle launch as guest of one of the astronauts. AJ6T was in New
Joisey. K6ANP and W6OSP were at a meeting--bad luck for them. W6RJ and
KG6I were there to feast, and I don't know who else out here was also
lucky.

The signal got louder here for about 10 minutes, peaking around
0215-0220, then was weak but still Q5 for us for a while. By then, the
lidmass was on him, and the party was over for us.

This morning (03Z), he is puportedly on 1823, but nothing here.
--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, "The DXer," newsletter of the NCDXC