TopBand: Dupes

Chris R. Burger crb@nanoteq.co.za
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:17:42 +200

W1YY wrote:

> and, lo and behold, the log for V5/ZS6YG showed "W1YYR" (who doesn't
> exist, by the way). Had I not by happenstance also made contact with
> W8UVZ, I'd have been out of luck.
I think you have to accept that most QSL managers are reasonable
people.  If you claim a QSL for a contact at the same date and time
that W1YY is in the log, I'm sure any reasonable QSL manager would
admit that the operator screwed up, and provide you with a QSL.

In my case (although I do not handle this particular operation), I
would probably check the Callbook to see if W1YYR does exist.  If
not, the QSL goes out without further ado.  If it does exist, I'd
probably wait a few weeks to see if that station claims a QSL, or
take other steps to verify whether 'YYR made the contact.

Furthermore, let me flog this horse yet again.  These guys were
facing tremendous QRN, and did a wonderful job of pulling calls from
the muck.  Frankly, it would be amazing if there were not a few
mishaps.  Also, the dupe sheet was manually entered from paper logs.
There may have been a few mishaps along the way.  The paper log will
be the final authority.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ