TopBand: Heard - Antipodes conditions

john p. rogers john.rogers@mcmail.com
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 22:08:13 -0800

Some experience of the G/ZL antipodes condx on 160m may give hope to
those of you in N.W. USA who might think logically that a daylight
overhap means no chance with VK0IR.
Often conditions to ZL/UK have been open (in March and October) with
the overlap around half an hour. Peak occurs perhaps (I stand to be
corrected) 5 minutes BEFORE SUNSET at ZL. If condx are good then 20 mins
in the middle of the daylight period may be open.
Different locations and time of year I know, but it is interesting that
the usual peaks you would expect on 160m do not normally occur at that
time. From Bill's figures of sunrise and sunset, WY, MONT, ND and other
areas with small daylight overlap may have propagation IF the same rule
applies - ie listen after your sunrise, and up to VK0 sunset.
Its worth a try! Dipoles have proved the best antenna.

73's
John
G3PQA