TopBand: Re: Re: VK0IR in N.C.

davekennedy@juno.com davekennedy@juno.com
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 15:35:49 EST

This message was aborted and is being resent.

From: davekennedy
To: bobnm7m@baker.cnw.com
Cc: topband@contesting.com, n4su@ols.net
Subject: Re: Re: VK0IR in N.C.
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 14:46:59 PST

Bob, Thanks a meg for yourauthoritative and educational reply to
my remarks about iomospheric ducting and the arrival direction of
the VK0IR signals on 160M at 2300Z on Wed. eve Jan. 22.

The reason I am confident about the N.E. arrival direction of the VK0IR
sigs is because I have a choice of 14 different arrival directions on a
              rotary switch panel controlling seven reversible 2-wire
beverage antennas.
The 14 directions are spaced  fairly equally around the compass. The
signals peaked over a 30 minute period centered at about 2250-2300Z,
after sunset here and before sunrise on Heard island. It was fascinating
to watch the terminator (grey line) on my Geochron clock during this
period of the day. The signals were inaudible (!) in any other direction
including the reverse (S.W.) direction. Incidentically, at that time of
day
N.E. and S.W. are almost perpendicular to the terminator (grey line) so
the signal would have to traverse 12000 +/= miles in daylight to arrive
from the S.W. on my Eu beverage. No, it wasn't off the back.

It would be interesting to know if the W9/W0 contacts were S.E. or N.E.
during the short period when the grey line intersected W9/W0 and VK0.

73, Dave--N4SU