TopBand: Last night on 160 from Boring Oregon

LarryX Tyree contractor for brentc larrytx@co.intel.com
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:47:38 -0800 (PST)

Started listening on the band around 0500Z.  Heard some LOUD mid-west
stations working what they described as LOUD europeans.  I knew something
was going to happen when I heard a peep (just a dit maybe) from one of
the OM stations calling CQ.  The band was also very very quiet with
no noise.

Finally, G3PQA arrived around 0600Z and things started to happen.  Shortly
after that QSO, 6W6JX showed up and was peaking several S-units above my
noise level.  My pipeline to 6W and ZS is still working - many others seemed
to have problems hearing him - or being heard.

I made QSOs with most of the western European countries after that:
DJ7MI, ON4UN, F5LGE, HB9DCM, EA3VY, CT1BOH and a couple of other G
stations.  CT1BOH was #147 for me - thanks Jose!  DL3KDV reports
hearing my QSO with Jose with good signals from me 30 minutes after
his sunrise.  It also was reported that Dieter might be able to
activate 5A next November.

None of the signals were really strong, but everyone seemed to peak
up for a few minutes and then would disappear.  It felt like the
experience W4ZV releated about hearing the band open and close.

It felt like I owned the band from 0600 onward.  That was a nice
reward after listening to nothing but USA signals for an hour.
Just before going to bed, WA2VQW checked in from New York.  He was
running 15 watts to a dipole 16 feet off the ground.  He was 569.

This was done with the K index at 3 - another funny night.

This morning I heard XU6WV breifly, but I don't believe anyone from
North America made a QSO.  Japan was coming in well just before sunrise,
but no other stations were heard.  XU6WV was transmitting on 1825 and
listening on 21.

On Monday morning, when N7UA and I worked the XU, Bob mentioned that he
heard FR5DX CQing on 1826, but didn't get his amp turned on quick enough
to call him.

ZS4TX reports that he made a QSO with N5WA last night, so now he
only needs KH6 for his WAS.  He figures he can make that QSO in April.
DL3KDV reports he needs South Dakota for WAS.

I received another ES1QA card in response to my SASE to the CBA, so that
route also works (in addition to N6HR).  Other cards recently received
include ZS4TX and HB9AMO.

Hope good things are in store tonight.  I should be on the band after
0530Z.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com