TopBand: New antenna on loaded tower

Larry Tyree n6tr@teleport.com
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:40:48 -0700 (PDT)

Against my better judgement - I am thinking of adding a new antenna
to the tower I load as a vertical for topband.  The tower
is 72 feet tall - with an 8 foot mast.  Mounted at the bottom of the
mast is a 4 element 20 meter beam on a 36 foot boom, and at the top
is a 5 element 15 on a 32 foot boom.

The antenna that is being considered is a 2 element 40 (KLM elements)
on a 20 foot boom.  I am looking at putting it up around 55 or 60 feet
depending on how the guy wire interference works out.  This antenna
will be used for short haul paths on 40 meters (i.e., to W6) during
domestic contests.  It looks good for angles around 30 degrees.

I have heard of at least one case where doing this destroyed the
magic on topband.  I believe my antenna has lots of "magic" currently,
and am concerned about the impact of adding this antenna.

Does anyone have any experiences that might make me feel better about
doing this - or bad enough not to attempt it?  My only other option
would be to put it on another tower, in-between a 4 element 15 at 52
feet and a 3 element 40 at 85 feet.

Maybe I just have too many antennas!

73 Tree N6TR / K7RAT
tree@contesting.com