TopBand: Elevation Angle of Maximum Radiation from Verticals

w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 12:08:32 +0000

> Date:          Wed, 30 Jul 97 13:46:32 +0000

> I am surprised by the analysis that adding radials at the antenna has such a
> major effect on the angle of radiation. This would seem to mean that if you
> sit in the middle of a 250 ft diameter salt water pond, it does not matter
> what the ground conductivity is several wavelengths from the antenna.
>
> 73 de VE7BS

You should be surprised Bob.

A vertical antenna's radiation angle is affected very little by a
near field radial system. The only exception would be if the radials
were actually radiating.

Contrary to Hamlore, adding radials does not noticeably change the
radiation angle of a vertical. All it does is change the OVERALL
pattern size, by reducing nearfield loss.

Now if you add 5 wl long radials, and keep the far ends less than .05
wl apart by using enough radials, it would change the elevation
pattern a useful amount.  ;-)

73, Tom W8JI