TopBand: Split Gorunds for Folded Feed Verticals?

w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Fri, 2 May 1997 09:31:28 +0000

Hi Jim,

I expect this thread to be censored at any moment, but hopefully we
can come to some resolution. I think understanding HOW antenna's work
is very important to 160 operators. It's the last band where you find
so many antenna experimenters.

> Anyway, I had a half baked idea that occurred to me when I previously used
> folded feed antennas. (I didn't use them for improved efficiency, but that
> is another story) I realize that the ground losses are the same for a
> folded antenna as for a monopole of the same height when connected to the
> same ground.

That statement is precisely correct. Nice way to word it.

> Is the same true if I use an electrically isolated ground for
> each fold? That is, instead of tieing the drop to the same ground the
> feeder is tied to, tie it to a separate ground (or set of radials).

In specials cases efficiency can be improved. The case rules are each
ground must be very small electrically and the antenna must be very
short, and earth itself must be the primary ground. That is why the
method you describe is common on VLF, but NOT common on MW and HF.

On VLF, both the ground and radiator are fractional wavelengths
physically. In that case parallelling multiple drop wires spreads the
VERY high currents out in several small ground systems. Cut the
current in half in each ground system, and losses drop by four.

Unfortunately that only works when the ground systems are very
dependent on the earth connection (VLF), the antenna is very short,
and the actual ground system area is very limited.

It's more like three ground rods are better than one and keeping
the high current path from the very short radiator vertical
(instead of stretched along the ground) than anything else.

> would be easiest with an elevated feed of course, but then ground losses
> are lower in that case anyway. Or would the ground losses be the same (as
> for the separate case) if I just tied both grounds together and fed the
> folded antenna against it?

I suspect the latter is the case, you would have the same thing. Now
if you could have no long radials, and your 160 antenna was five feet
tall, the multiple drop and ground system might work.

But all things considered, isn't a simple system of twenty or more
1/8 wl or longer radials easier?

73 Tom