TopBand: Oregon to Europe, but not back

Larry Tyree tree@lady.axian.com
Fri, 2 May 1997 07:07:55 -0700 (PDT)

What the heck - the K index is at 5, the band sounds dead, but
I just feel like calling CQ and making some noise...

It is about 04:00z and I just got home from bridge night out.

I didn't hear anything come back, and after about 30 minutes, I
went downstairs.  It would have been nice to hear a ZS come back
or perhaps a South American.

However, thanks to the internet, I get this:

> Tree,
> You were a good signal this morning on 1826.5? from 0415-0425.
> Both Mike G3SED and myself were calling.
> I was calling on 29.
> Only signals on the band except QRN s7 peaks.
> Try again tomorrow!
> John G3PQA

I guess the WWV numbers scared everyone off the band (K=5).  I am
now convinced that the WWV numbers are indeed useful, because when
they go up, activity goes down.  However, I am not sure you can
predict what the band is going to be like from them.

I remember all of those nights in December with K=0 or K=1, but
no opening because of the stratwarm absorption.

Yup, there were NO signals on this end, and only my signal on their
end...  I think this proves those funny WWV numbers just aren't
a good reason to stay off the band.

If we hear a "dead" band, if you can spare some time, be like a
beacon for a few minutes.  Perhaps some "calling frequencies"
should be adopted so during the months of sparse activity/openings,
the activity is concentrated in one or two places so it makes it
easier to find someone.

Slept in this morning, not sure if T30WP was there.

73 Tree N6TR/7
tree@contesting.com