TopBand: Lightning and EMF Protection for ZJ Electronics Bev. Boxes

Phil Clements philk5pc@connect.net
Wed, 07 May 1997 22:35:40 -0500

Has anyone other than myself had any problems with blown preamps in the
ZJ Electronics Beverage box? I use mine with a EWE antenna; it is the
160/80 meter model with preamp and B.C. band filter. I have no idea
whether lightning or RF from the vertical transmitting antenna is doing
the damage. No documentation was sent with my box, but I have a suspicion
that no protection is installed for either source. I have requested a
schematic be included with the return of my repaired unit, and will know
more about this shortly. The reply from the manufacturer was that "these
amplifiers just blow from time to time," and suggested I purchase a
supply of FET's @ $5.00 each to have on hand.

I would like to permanently fix the problem; any ideas, experiences,
or advice will be appreciated and shared with other interested "victims."

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC