TopBand: Re:Tophat Loaded Verticals

Robert A. Kile midnight@accessnv.com
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 19:02:36 -0700

The textbook data of Tom (W8JI) and the emperical information of Lew
McCoy (W1ICP) is like comparing Einstein to Edison. This is not to
diminish that both were successfull in their fields

For those with limited space and resources the short toploaded vertical
performance far exceeds the alturnatives. Top-loaded short verticals
with their relatively flat current distribution always outperform base
or center loaded antennas of the the same height.

My practical experience would indicate that in most ham installations
this current distribution is more importantant than a few ohms radiation
resistance increase. However, with top laoding you get both.

Perhaps in the real world perspective of townhomes, condos and city lots
an antenna that works well within its expectations and limitations is
the best choice. Not all of us will ever have acres and 130ft sticks to
play with. I can suck up to the fact that more than half my transmitted
power is consumed in losses. While being 6-10 db down from full quarter
wave is not great. However, at least I can work around the region with
100w and a 26ft vertical.

73

Bob, KG7D