TopBand: Re: One-way Skip

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sat, 01 Nov 1997 15:25:58 EST

On Sat, 01 Nov 1997 14:32:03 EST k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
writes:
>Tom's (W8JI) reply ("higher noise level on the east, lower noise on
>the west") to comments regarding stations near their sunset time
>hearing, but not able to QSO, stations to their east is what I have
>also suspected.  I guess you can add higher QRM level due to higher
>population density in the eastern half of the USA.

Is that really true Earl?  In many NE states the serious 160M operator is
on 1 acre or more...in this town that is the minimum requirement for a
house lot and 2 1/2 acres is not uncommon. And this is a working class
town; some of the yuppie towns have 2 to 5 acre minimums.
I think that we can all agree that stations within commuting distance of
NYC can not hear any way! K1ZM is NOT within sane commuting distance so
no wise cracks Jeff!

My own contest experience is that I can hear Texas, Az, Ca, WA, etc,
stations long before they hear me. Is it because they are overwhelmed by
closer and louder callers?  With some that may be true but I have had way
too many call CQ and not reply to anyone, myself included. When I finally
do get thru it is most often with a lot of repeats or after the W2 thru
W4 east coast gets thru.  By around 0300Z I can usually crack any pileup
to the west  on a call or two but before that it is a battle.

Am I fighting the Texas Killowatt syndrome or  is there another reason?

Contrast that to the small lots common in the " wide open" west and
southwest and I do begin to believe that the enviroment is a prime
factor. It does not answer all the questions but must be considered.

>This phenomenon almost makes one believe in "one-way skip" (and is
>possibly the reason for those that do believe in it).

I would not discount the possibility either. One Way Skip is a bit more
beliveable than  Roswell, NM.

>VE7BS adds another insight -- that stations at the eastern end of the
>path might be using directional receiving antennas aimed anywhere but
>west.  So guys, when your "CQ TEST" goes unanswered, please remember
>that stations 2, 3 or 4 hours to your west are also calling you ---
>switch your Beverages around and pick up a few more points.

Maybe only for the guys in the middle. The East coast wants to hear the
Left coast. I may not always hear the 100W and wet noodle antenna  guy in
Seattle when I'm on the SW Beverage but I rarely miss hearing "something"
and quickly change antennas. ANY serious competitor does the same. After
all, there are only so many EU to work and a huge number of multipliers
are to the west.  I discount the RX antenna as a viable excuse/answer for
that reason.

73   Carl   KM1H