TopBand: 9U5CW

Bill Tippett btippett@CTC.Net
Mon, 03 Nov 1997 12:31:49 -0500 (EST)

First message dated Saturday:

Today, Alfredo and I, set up a Battle Creek Special for 40, 80 and 160 with
a 17-radial network. We are going to operate tonight (2 november) near 3505
and 1825 kHz after 2000Z. Bare with us... the amp is out of order, so a
100W is all we have for you. And now we are at it, we would like to know
how to properly tune the BCS for 160. Resonance seems to be near 1950 kHz,
with a 4:1 SWR around 1830. 40 and 80 SWR is excellent.
On a relate note, we are listening for FULL CALLSIGNS - (the 2-habit is
getting into CW as well, believe it or not).
73, Alex PA3DZN (guest-op @ 9U5CW)

(Note, I already answered his question about resonance for the BCS since
I'm very familiar with it.  de W4ZV)

Second message dated Monday:

Alright. We were there (on 80 and 160) and condx seemed bad, although we
worked quite a few JA's on 80m around their sunrise time. Otherwise quiet.
Now, when I write that we will operate LF after 2000Z, then it means we
operate after 2000Z (where is the difficult part with this). Believe me, we
know that the earth turns around and that sunset and sunrise occur at
different times on the globe. We also know to discern between, say, New
York, Mid-West, and San Fransisco, when we talk about USA. We know the USA
is a big country, that sunset maybe doesn't happen at 2000Z in any
particular part of that country, but that is what the word AFTER is all
about. After 2000Z up to 0400Z you just might find 9U5CW on LF, depending
on how good condx are, how tired we are, and how good an operator you are.
We are going to be here for some time more, and therefore there is no
reason to panic. Please do not send anymore messages suggesting (rather
requesting) specific geographic differences, preferences, and the like. We
know. "Trust me - I know what I'm doing..." (gun shot eliminated for
security purposes).

73, Alex PA3DZN (@ 9U5CW)