TopBand: Sun calcs.

George Guerin George.Guerin@kellogg.com
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 10:58:35 -0500

--IMA.Boundary.136219878

     Hi Greg, et al

     Sundial societies have the most "layman's" explanation of the equation
     of time.  If you can't get it locally, I could contact a relative, but
     he is not on e-mail.  He says it is truly a simple approach that does
     consider the tilt of the earth, elipticity, etc.

     George, K8GG

Subject: TopBand: Sun calcs.
Author:  gsmith.rdi@reutech.co.za (Greg Smith) at BC_INTERNET
Date:    11/5/97 7:42 AM

I have been using a formula for sunrise and sunset times given in an old
edition of ON4UN's book "80m DX'ing".  This formula is quite simple, and
clearly does not take into account the ellipticity of the Earth's orbit,
and other higher order effects.  It has been giving errors of 10 minutes
plus at this QTH (30S 31E) all through the equinox period.

Does anyone have a more accurate formula?

I know that I should extend my operating times to cover the inaccuracies,
but time doesn't permit at present.

Greg, ZS5K.

--IMA.Boundary.136219878--