TopBand: Conditions 11/8

Bill Hohnstein k0ha@navix.net
Sat, 08 Nov 1997 18:40:28 -0800

Unexpectedly good conditions local Friday night...
  Got home around 0100z and heard several weak Europeans with flutter
on their signals.  I figured, "Better work 'em now because the band
is going to fold."  Propagation/noise appeared to cause better copy
here.  I didn't hear OM3EY coming back to callers away from the east
coast area.  I QSO'ed DL3DXX at 0131.  He was better copy on the 86
degree Beverage than on the 43 or 30 degree ones...
  Things improved around 0300 with reasonable copy of OK1DRU (0307) &
UA2BD (0312) early in the hour.  I was surprised to be called by
UA2FF at 0347.  He was 569 then, but 579 a half hour later.  By then
the European signals were stronger on the new 30 Beverage and the flut-
ter on receive was mostly gone.  Inbetween the signals were at times
better on the 43 degree "Beverage."  I haven't yet figured why the
380' wire with zero ohm termination "resistor" still shows its value...
  Other contacts included RW3PZ (0407), OM3EY (0429) [he had a stronger
signal then but was better copy around 0110 due to a lower noise level
early], 9A7V (0438), and UA1WAN (0504).
  The solar numbers look better today--that probably means that
conditions will be worse...

73,  Bill     K0HA