TopBand: Re:Titanex Verticals - Follow on.

Sun, 9 Nov 1997 08:18:43 -1000 (HST)

NAA17321
Sender: owner-topband@contesting.com

On 09 Nov 1997 KØGEX wrote:

>Tnx for the run down on the vertical, I enjoyed it very much.  What is
>the approx size of the vertical diameter?  Is it tapered or constant dia
>with swedged interfaces?

Hi Ed and TopBanders,

The vertical (Model V 160 E) consists of the following:

        3 tubes 3 mtr. x 40 mm.        2 mm. wall thickness
        2 tubes 3 mtr. x 40 mm.        1 mm. wall thickness
        1 tube  3 mtr. x 30 mm.        w/two reduction rings
        1 tube  3 mtr. x 20 mm.        w/two reduction rings
        2 tubes 2.6 mtr. x 18 mm.
        1 connection piece 20 mm. for 18 mm. tubes app. 12 cm.

The reduction rings have slits cut where the welded seam of the
other tube must slide in then eyebolts are put through (hand
drilled, i.e., "custom" holes) to hold them together. I don't
recall if they were swedged or if internal coupling pieces were
used. The manual doesn't say.

The 2 mm. thick white Kevlar guys are placed at 6m, 9m, 12m, 15m,
nd 18m. and extend 10m from the base. The upper 8m swings freely.
Thus, correcting my earlier guess, it is 26m. long.

They recommend around 20 radials 40m long using insulated wire
but you can use more or less (naturally) according to your local
conditions.

I failed to mention two series air variable caps that are used
on 40m and 80m respectively in conjunction with the multitapped
coil. The plastic box is substantial but I'd not rely on it as is,
at least not in tropical weather, here. The relays run on 12VDC
and you must provide your own control cable.

Sorry, I should have consulted the manual again before writing
my first posting.

Aloha,

Kimo Chun, KH7U